Have you ever wanted to recreate thumbnails and resized picture copies for your photos in Gallery 2?
I did recently after making a settings change to the ImageMagick image processing library and was surprised that it wasn’t a more straightforward process.
Here’s how I did it. In case you’re wondering, I’m using version 2.3.
1) Before you start, note that it can be time consuming to rebuild all of your thumbnails. I recommend that you place Gallery 2 into maintenance mode. To set maintenance mode, login as an administrator and navigate to
Maintenance (http://www.example.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.SiteAdmin&g2_subView=core.AdminMaintenance, you’ll need to modify this URL based upon your own Gallery 2 installation). Select the
Maintenance Mode checkbox there and click
2) Navigate to http://www.example.com/gallery/lib/support/index.php in your browser. This is the key step that I had a hard time finding;
3) Enter your Gallery 2 password and click
4) Click the
Cache Maintenance link;
5) You’ll be presented with a list of checkboxes representing cached items to delete. Unselect everything except for
Thumbnails and resizes and then click
Clear Cache. This will delete all existing thumbnail and resized picture cache files.
6) Now you’ll need to generate new thumbnails. Login as an administrator and navigate (again) to
Maintenance and click the
run now link next to
Build all thumbnails/resizes. This part can take a long time during which your browser may timeout. If it does, repeat this step until all of your thumbnails are rebuilt.
7) Exit maintenance mode on your site if you set this option in step 1.